When you looked at the schedul for this week and saw that the 1-5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers and 2-5 Minnesota Vikings were playing each other, the last thing you expected was for the game to be exciting. It wasn’t a high scoring affair, but it was perhaps the most competitive and tightly contested game of the season for either team.
More from Minnesota Vikings
- Kirk Cousins trying to emulate Patrick Mahomes after seeing co-star on Netflix doc
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook gives another status update on RB’s free agency
- Vikings: Jordan Addison issues apology after reckless driving charge
- 3 biggest mistakes from the NFL offseason
- Patrick Mahomes is picking a fight with the Kirk Cousins haters
Call it poor offense or deem it solid defense, but the score at halftime was 3-0 in favor of the Vikings after Blair Walsh gave them a last second lead in the second quarter. The offenses were not impressive for large stretches of the game, which may or may not have made the defenses look better. That being said, the defenses of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Minnesota Vikings looked like they were in control all day long.
Early on, it was the Vikings holding down the Buccaneers offensive attack — if you want to call it that — and taking the lead into the half.
But the second half of the game was a lot more thrilling to watch. After two quarters if being largely stagnant, the Vikings offense woke up for a scoring drive in the third quarter to give the Vikings a 10-0 lead. But seemingly out of nowhere the Buccaneers woke up as well, scoring 13 unanswered to take a 13-10 lead with under two minutes left to play in the game.
There was plenty of time on the clock though for Teddy Bridgewater to drive the Vikings down the field and tie the game up at 13-13. The Buccaneers got the ball first in overtime, but the Minnesota Vikings didn’t care, forcing a fumble on the first offensive possession of overtime and returning it for a touchdown.
It was a surprisingly entertaining game, and while neither team is going to go anywhere this season, the game was more than anyone thought it would be.
More from FanSided
- MLB Trade Grades: Dodgers land Amed Rosario from Guardians
- Colorado gives Pac-12 a possible death knell with move to Big 12
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook suitor maintaining very ‘real’ interest
- Braves get dose of bad news on Max Fried as ace nears return
- LA Galaxy vs. Club Leon Leagues Cup match rescheduled for July 26