Andre Johnson’s tenure with the Houston Texans has come to an end, and it is a very sad day for their franchise. He was the face of their franchise at one point, and he was also one of the best wide receivers in the NFL. That has changed and age is catching up to him, but he is still a very solid option.
More from Houston Texans
- NFL Power Rankings: Who is the best quarterback in each division?
- NFL Power Rankings: Which teams will have the best rushing attacks this season?
- NFL power rankings: Which teams will have the best defense this season?
- Oh, honey: No one told Davis Mills why the Texans took C.J. Stroud
- NFL rumors: Jadeveon Clowney open to returning to former team
He has been granted permission to seek a trade, and if he does not get traded he will get cut. Johnson appears to favor being cut, and he shares mutual interest with the Indianapolis Colts on a potential deal. That report comes from Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, and it isn’t too surprising.
Indianapolis is looking to bring in another big named veteran wide receiver with Reggie Wayne’s age catching up to him. There is no sign yet as to whether or not Wayne is going to retire or come back to the Colts for one more season.
Without Wayne, the Colts would have T.Y. Hilton, Donte Moncrief, and Duron Carter as their wide receivers. Those three guys have a lot of talent, but the Colts know that they need to bring in another legitimate number two wide receiver and let Moncrief have another year or two as the third receiver. Johnson would be a perfect fit for Andrew Luck and the Colts’ offense, and it would give him a chance to play against his former team in the same division as well.
During the 2014 season, Johnson ended up catching 85 passes for 936 yards and three touchdowns. Those numbers aren’t shabby at all, and that was considered a “down season” for him. Indianapolis would be more than happy to take those numbers from Johnson, and it would add yet another threat to their offense.
Luck already led the Colts to the number one passing offense in the league last year. Hilton and Moncrief are extremely talented big play threats, but the Colts need a big target who can make big catches and be a leader.
It will be very interesting to see what ends up happening with Johnson this offseason, but the Colts appear to be a very solid suitor for him. Assuming he gets cut rather than traded, Indianapolis would be a very logical destination for him. All of this would depend on what type of contract he is looking for, but the Colts do have some money to spend.
H/T Bleacher Report
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle