Arizona Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith had a picture of Alice Cooper designed on his mask for throwback night.
The Arizona Coyotes held a throwback night Thursday night during their game against the Vancouver Canucks. The team wore their throwback ‘kachina’ jerseys which the team wore back between 1996 and 2003.
Usually we see now when a an NHL wears some kind of throwback uniforms, the team’s goaltender will change his equipment to match the throwback uniforms. That was the case with Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith, as he wore all dark pads to match the dark throwback uniforms.
More from NHL
- NHL Rumors: Legendary Patrice Bergeron retires, which 3 players could be next to hang up their skates?
- NHL Rumors: Latest on Hart, Hellebuyck, Gibson trade possibilities
- NHL Rumors: 5 forwards most likely to sign early extensions this summer
- NHL Rumors: Where things stand with Erik Karlsson, Penguins and Hurricanes
- NHL Rumors: Penguins nearly traded for Erik Karlsson at deadline
Mike Smith did the same thing with his mask, except he had one very unique quality added to it. The mask had the retro colors on it, including an old Coyotes’ logo on the right side of the mask. The one very unique, and pretty creepy, design that Smith added to his mask was a picture of Alice Cooper on the back of the mask.
I guess Smitty was hoping that the mask would scare off the Canucks so that he won’t have to face as many shots, because that thing is down right creepy. Apparently, the reason behind the design is that Alice Cooper is actually a longtime fan of the Coyotes and Mike Smith wanted to honor that.
That seems to be a true story, as Alice Cooper was at the game Thursday night decked out in Coyotes gear.
All I want to know is how is this team not dominant with Alice Cooper in their corner? I know he’s getting up there in age, but he must have enough juice in him to rock this team to victory.
The mask and Cooper’s presence seemed to help for at least this night, as the Coyotes were able to get the win over the Canucks 3-2 in the shootout. Not sure if Alice Cooper is a regular attendee to Coyotes’ games, but if he’s not, the franchise may want to give him season tickets, hey may be the good luck charm.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle