New England Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount fooled media and fans alike with a tweet about his vacation destination.
All LeGarrette Blount wanted to do was celebrate the beginning of an offseason vacation. Of course, he did so on the first day of the new league year in the NFL and he did so in cryptic fashion, which led to a Twitter explosion…for about a minute.
More from New England Patriots
- Patriots backup plan for DeAndre Hopkins is a shot in the dark
- NFL rumors: Patriots screwed themselves with DeAndre Hopkins pursuit
- Bill O’Brien arrival did not end the road for one disliked Patriots coach
- 3 biggest mistakes from the NFL offseason
- NFL Rumors: Dalvin Cook free agency complicated by court filing
Upon that tweet, many reacted as though Blount was headed to the Arizona Cardinals, who would certainly welcome his offensive production, given that it just helped the New England Patriots win a Super Bowl. The funny thing about that is Blount can’t sign with the Cardinals or anyone else during NFL free agency because he’s not an NFL free agent.
So began the overreaction to LeGarrette Blount’s vacation announcement. The talk quickly turned from Blount taking carries from Carson Palmer to Blount definitely not being a free agent in a very quick span of time.
Who can blame the social media stratosphere for jumping to conclusions though? On the first day of the league year, anything and everything is fair game for discussion, even if it’s simply the merits of a March vacation in Arizona (read: there are many).
LeGarrette Blount has one more year on his contract with the Patriots at a cool $1M cap hit, which is about where the Patriots like their running back cap hits to settle in at, so it’s no surprise that the team has elected to keep Blount on the roster after a second straight year in which his playoff heroics added value to the team’s run. This past year however, Blount and the Pats were able to finish the job, winning Super Bowl XLIX and making Blount a highly sought after commodity.
That is, if he was an available commodity to begin with. For now and for at least a year, it’s hands off, NFL. LeGarrette Blount already has a contract.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle