Justin Verlander spends day at NHRA race (Photo)
Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander finally received his Christmas gift in March as he spent the day in Florida at the NHRA Gatornationals.
With spring training well underway in Florida, Detroit Tigers pitcher enjoyed the day off in Florida at the NHRA Gatornationals.
Verlander is an avid fan of motorsports and the trip to the NHRA race was a Christmas gift from his father.
His father, Richard, was a bracket racer and loved all things automotive.
For Verlander, it was reconnecting with a childhood passion of his.
According to the USA Today, Verlander has loved racing and fast cars since he was a kid.
“The first baby seat I sat in was in a Porsche,” Justin Verlander told USA TODAY Sports. “Ever since I was a kid, I’ve always had a passion for fast cars. Always have and always will.”
His dad said that Verlander grew up around the sport.
Richard Verlander, who raced with his brother around Richmond, Va., said Justin grew up around drag racing .
“We had a race car in the driveway when he was 10 years old,” he said. “It’s something that’s always been a part of our lives.”
Verlander even posted a picture from the starting to his Instagram account.
Verlander, isn’t schedule to pitch again until Tuesday. For now though, he’s enjoying a day at the track.
More from FanSided
- NHL prop bets today (Bet on Viktor Arvidsson to stay hot)
- Pete Carroll makes Seahawks position on Lamar Jackson clear
- MLB Rumors: Andres Gimenez, Miles Mikolas and more insider breakdowns
- Pros and cons of Falcons officially out on Lamar Jackson, rolling with Desmond Ridder
- NFL Rumors: Everything Nick Sirianni said about Eagles Ezekiel Elliott interest