With the NCAA Tournament Selection Show finally here, it’s time to look at the third region revealed, the South region.
The Duke Blue Devils were given the No. 1 seed after a strong debate between them and the Virginia Cavaliers for the 1-seed. With a 29-4 record and a great team with freshmen sensations Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones. Duke lost in the ACC Tournament semi-finals in a tough game against Notre Dame.
The Gonzaga Bulldogs own the No. 2 seed in the South region after a dominant 32-2 season where they were considered a No. 1 seed for much of the year, but strength of schedule obviously plays in and got them the 2-seed.
The 3-seed in the South is owned by Iowa State, the Big 12 Tournament champions after they defeated Kansas. But, Iowa State will have a tough third round game if they advance to play the winner of SMU and UCLA.
Undoubtedly a tough region with Duke, Gonzaga, Iowa State and lurking teams like Utah at the No. 5 seed, Georgetown at the No. 4 seed and deep teams like SMU and Iowa who had commendable seasons.
Will Duke emerge out of the South Region and get another Final Four appearance? Or will it be another team that can get to the Final Four? Let us know in the comments below.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle