The St. John’s Red Storm has announced starting center Chris Obekpa will be out of action thanks to a two-week suspension for violating team rules.
St. John’s Red Storm center Chris Obekpa has likely watched his season come to an end and he will not be joining the team for two weeks. This is not the kind of news a team wants to hear just hours before seeding for the 2015 NCAA Tournament is announced on Selection Sunday.
More from March Madness
- Angel Reese thinks First Lady’s plan for hosting NCAA Champion is super lame
- Who won men’s March Madness?
- Watch One Shining Moment 2023 after UConn wins national championship
- CBB world reacts to Jim Nantz’s emotional final March Madness sign-off
- UConn national championship parade day, time, route details
The reason for Obekpa’s absence from the starting lineup is a suspension for a reported violation of team rules.
There was not much word on what led to Chris Obekpa’s suspension, but St. John’s released a brief statement announcing the punishment.
“Chris has been suspended for a violation of team rules,” said head coach Steve Lavin in a release, via NBC Sports. “All of the young men associated with our program are held to standards consistent with the aims and mission of our University. Accountability is tied to the decision making of our student-athletes. It is our hope Chris will learn from this experience.”
With the suspension beginning today, Obekpa will be out until March 29.
Unless St. John’s is able to make an improbably run through the Elite 8 without their starting big man who is one of the best shot blockers in the nation, Chris Obekpa will not be back on the court this season.
It is obviously a huge loss for the Red Storm.
This season, Obekpa has averaged 5.8 points, 7 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per game.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle