Current Louisville basketball head coach Rick Pitino offered a simple reason why he wasn’t in ESPN film “I Hate Christian Laettner.”
More from Mens Basketball
- Bronny James collapses at practice, taken to ICU with cardiac arrest
- 3 quick takeaways from Kentucky basketball’s win vs. Germany at GLOBL JAM
- UNC basketball adds fifth transfer of offseason with West Virginia big
- Undrafted Kentucky basketball star makes NBA contract official
- Caesars Iowa Promo Unlocks Massive $1,250 Bonus to Bet on ANYTHING!
Only a few people have a legitimate reason to hate Christian Laettner, but Lousiville head coach Rick Pitino might be one of them.
Laettner’s famous last-second shot in 1992 the East regional final gave Duke a 104-103 overtime win over Kentucky and Pitino, preventing the coach from reaching his second Final Four and first with the Wildcats. So, why wasn’t Pitino in ESPN’s documentary “I Hate Christian Laettner?”
In a conversation with Jeff Greer of The Courier-Journal, Pitino said he was approached about appearing but gave a simple reason for declining to appear.
Many ESPN announcers, including Duke alums Shane Battier and Jay Bilas, echoed that statement while promoting the film during conference championship week.
Big Blue Nation will certainly never forget Laettner’s shot, and helped end many other team’s tournament runs while starting in four consecutive Final Fours. Combined with the nationwide hate of Duke and the stomping of an opponent in that same game, and it’s easy to see why Laettner may still be disliked in some circles.
Kentucky and Duke are both one seeds in the 2015 tournament and couldn’t meet until the championship game, while Pitino would only face the Blue Devils if he can guide fourth-seeded Louisville to the Final Four.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle