A high schooler’s mistake leads to a hilarious moment for Houston Astros catcher Jason Castro.
More from Houston Astros
- NY Mets: 4 monstrous trade packages for Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer
- MLB Rumors: Willson Contreras trade suitor, Reds surprise move, Giolito war
- MLB standings ordered by hard hit rate: Struggling Cardinals still cracking bats
- MLB Rumors: Yankees, Astros set for trade showdown for big-name bat
- MLB rumors: Justin Verlander buzz, Astros target All-Star, Reds-White Sox deal
Asking a professional athlete to prom isn’t uncommon. Sometimes, the athlete will even make a nice gesture and say yes or make an appearance.
But accidentally asking a MLB player to the dance may be a new one. That’s exactly what happened to Houston Astros catcher Jason Castro on Wednesday night.
From Castro’s Twitter account:
Castro respectfully declined after much debate.
Hopefully the student realized the error of their ways and tried again with a better effort on the letter “p”. Their first clue should have been that it was unlikely a high school student would be driving around what appears to be a rather nice car.
Whether the student got the date or not, they will always have the story of asking out a former MLB All-Star. Castro achieved the designation in 2013, when he hit .276/.350/.485 for a dreadful Astros team.
Things didn’t go quite as well for Castro last year. The 26-year-old posted a .651 OPS, his worst campaign in the majors since his debut season in 2010.
The Astros brought in Hank Conger over the offseason to back up Castro and presumably take some at-bats from him. Newly-acquired Evan Gattis may also get some starts behind the plate, although he is much more suited for a DH or first base role.
Castro’s future with the club is uncertain as Houston’s rebuild moves towards the point where the team should start winning some games. This may be a make-or-break year for Castro, but at least he won’t have to deal with the pressure of finding a date to the dance.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle