Prospective NHL franchise owner Bill Foley expects a formal announcement to be made soon about a NHL expansion team in Las Vegas.
There may be an update coming soon on the status of an NHL expansion team coming to Las Vegas.
Bill Foley, who is heading a group of prospective buyers for the expansion franchise, expects a formal announcement to come in about a month, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger via Sports Illustrated.
More from NHL
- NHL Rumors: Legendary Patrice Bergeron retires, which 3 players could be next to hang up their skates?
- NHL Rumors: Latest on Hart, Hellebuyck, Gibson trade possibilities
- NHL Rumors: 5 forwards most likely to sign early extensions this summer
- NHL Rumors: Where things stand with Erik Karlsson, Penguins and Hurricanes
- NHL Rumors: Penguins nearly traded for Erik Karlsson at deadline
Foley was very optimistic when asked if his group is moving closer to bringing an NHL expansion team to Vegas.
"There will be a formal announcement soon. We’re really pleased with how it’s going. Now we want to expand our base to ensure the support we have is as widespread as possible."
The NHL permitted Foley and his group to start a season ticket drive in February. So far, Foley seems to be very pleased with how the drive has gone so far. It is believed that the announcement Foley hopes to make in a month is concerning the success of the ticket drive and, in turn, taking the next step in the process. The season ticket drive was only to see if there would be sufficient interest in the Vegas area to support an NHL team, but it is only one step of many to be taken in the process of bringing an expansion team to the city.
The NHL board of governors would still need to ultimately approve of the expansion team in Vegas. They plan to meet in Las Vegas on June 24, since they will be in the area at that time anyway for the NHL awards ceremony. During their meeting, they will most likely decide whether or not they will take the next step in bringing hockey to Las Vegas.
Foley still is optimistic that they will have an expansion team ready to play for the beginning of the 2016-17 team. There is currently a $375 million, 17,5000 seat arena being built on the strip that is set to open in 2016.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle