Michigan State coach Tom Izzo says letting his players see the movie “Get Hard” is to blame for their rough start against Oklahoma in the Sweet 16.
More from March Madness
- Angel Reese thinks First Lady’s plan for hosting NCAA Champion is super lame
- Who won men’s March Madness?
- Watch One Shining Moment 2023 after UConn wins national championship
- CBB world reacts to Jim Nantz’s emotional final March Madness sign-off
- UConn national championship parade day, time, route details
The Spartans found themselves in an early 18-8 hole and trailed for the entirety of the first-half. It was stunning to see Michigan State, a team that’s played so well recently, underperform on the big stage.
So, what happened? Why did the Spartans start out so slow?
Well, according to Michigan State coach Tom Izzo, his decision to let his players see the Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart-driven comedy “Get Hard” prior to the game is to blame for the Spartans’ early woes.
"“I probably caused the problems in the first half,” Izzo said after the Spartans’ 62-58 win over the Sooners. “Instead of grinding it in some film, we went to a damn movie. We did it just to try to break up the day.”(…)Izzo said he sat with Hart at a Connecticut game last year and met Ferrell years ago, leading him to think sending his team to a movie starring the two could be good karma.“‘I said this could be a good omen.’ So they went,” Izzo said. “I said if we lose, we’ll never do it again. If we win, hell we might go to the movies tomorrow. I don’t know.”"
Although Izzo jokingly blamed his team’s struggles on the film, Hart shouted out the Spartans on Instagram.
The Spartans will take on Louisville in the Elite Eight on Sunday at 2:20 p.m. ET in Syracuse. We’re guessing Michigan State is spending a little more time in the film room than the movie theater ahead of this one.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle