The Los Angeles Dodgers got a 3-run home run from Jimmy Rollins in the 8th inning to lead the team to the win over the San Diego Padres on opening day.
The San Diego Padres visited the Los Angeles Dodgers on Monday afternoon to open up baseball for the season. The Padres are a new look team after all their acquisitions this season and had James Shields take the mound for the day. The Dodgers had Clayton Kershaw as their opening day starter.
More from Los Angeles Dodgers
- MLB Trade Grades: Dodgers reunite with familiar face in Red Sox deal
- MLB Rumors: Cardinals budging on Arenado, Orioles-Ohtani package, Yankees backup plan
- MLB Rumors: Shocking Shohei Ohtani suitor would be Dodgers, Giants nightmare
- MLB Rumors: Shohei Ohtani, Angels, Dodgers, Rich Hill
- NY Mets: 4 monstrous trade packages for Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer
Both starting pitchers did well going 6 strong innings in the game and the game was decided by the bullpen. The San Diego Padres bullpen was given the lead going into the 7th inning, but they were unable to hold the lead and then gave up the 3-run home run to Jimmy Rollins to give up the lead.
- The San Diego Padres acquired P Craig Kimbrel in a trade and he arrived in time for the game
- Padres OF Matt Kemp drew some cheers and some boos from the crowd when he was introduced in front of his former stadium.
- Padres Wil Myers stole his first base of the season in the top of the 1st inning
- Padres Matt Kemp started the game with an RBI in the first inning to bring in Wil Myers.
- Former San Diego Padres 1B Adrian Gonzalez hit a homer run in the bottom of the 4th for the Los Angeles Dodgers to tie the game at 1-1
- Dodgers 2B Howie Kendrick followed the home run with a triple. Wil Myers played the ball poorly to allow the triple and he scored a run
- Dodgers OF Carl Crawford followed with a double to break the tie and put the Dodgers up 2-1
- Padres OF Matt Kemp doubled in a pair of runs in the 5th inning to haunt his former team even more to give the Padres a 3-2 lead at the top of the 5th inning
- Vin Scully was back calling games with great lines like “sounds like he hit it with a bunch of celery”
- Padres P James Shields pounded his chest and roared after striking out a pair of batters in the 6th innings. 8 strikeouts though 6 innings
- Shields opening day line was 6IP, 6H, 2ER, 2BB, 8k, 95 pitches and a no decision
- Dodgers Howie Kendrick hit an RBI double in the 7th to tie the game at 3-3
- The cheers turned into boos for Matt Kemp when he stepped up in the 8th inning after 3 RBI vs former team
- Dodgers C A.J. Ellis failed to put down a bunt to move the go-ahead run to 2nd in the 8th
- Padres infield error kept inning alive. Yonder Alonso could not field the ball cleanly and P Shawn Kelley was not able to find the base
- Dodgers SS Jimmy Rollins broke the tie in the 8th with a 3-run homerun
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle