Is Russell Wilson an elite fantasy quarterback?
I have a challenge for you. Quickly and without checking Google or ESPN where did Russell Wilson finish in standard fantasy leagues last year? It is okay I really could not remember either before I began the research for this article. He actually finished third among all QBs ahead of Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and many others who were drafted before him last year. I am not sure why we under valued Russell Wilson last year going into drafts with his rushing ability. I mean I understand he has never really had a good pass catcher to pair up with, but that is no longer a problem.
More from Fantasy Football
- Top 10 fantasy football dynasty wide receivers heading into 2023
- Fantasy Football: How high should Alexander Mattison’s ADP rise after Dalvin Cook release?
- Top 10 fantasy football dynasty running backs heading into 2023
- Top 10 dynasty quarterbacks heading into 2023
- 5 players fantasy football owners should hope are traded this offseason
In case you have been living under a rock a few weeks back the Seahawks acquired Jimmy Graham to the fold. This gives the Seahawks and Wilson a huge advantage heading into the 2015 season. I realize that it will hurt Graham’s fantasy prospects to a degree even if it was only based on the fact that he went from a pass-heavy to a run-heavy team. Wilson only threw for 20 TDs last year as where every other QB in the top ten last year threw for at least 27. Of course as we mentioned Wilson made up the difference with his 6 rushing TDs and his rushing yards.
The point that I am getting to here is that now the Seahawks have added the guy who has caught the most red-zone touchdown catches the past three years. This really addresses one of Russell Wilson’s major flaws in his game. Wilson has had a terrible pass completion rate in the red-zone and now he has a huge 6’7″ target to throw it up to and let him bring it home.
I realize that the Seahawks really still need to add another top-tier WR to be a true nightmare for opposing defenses, but they are getting Marshawn Lynch back also. I am expecting a pretty big year in 2015 from Russell Wilson. I am not exactly sure where I will have him in my rankings and if I can put him ahead of guys like Drew Brees and Peyton Manning, but I am willing to go after him pretty hot and heavy in dynasty and 4 man and larger keeper leagues.
Tentatively speaking I could see drafting him right after Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. Some of these other guys could be toss ups but it might even be hard to not gamble on Tom Brady again next year and even Matt Ryan. Chances are I would likely take Russell Wilson as my fifth quarterback off of the draft board. I like him and I am almost ready to tag him with the fantasy elite QB tag and I just hope that maybe the hype train will not pick him up and run his price tag up much higher than that.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle