The two golfers were paired together for Round 3 of the 2015 Masters after multiple previous incidents.
More from The Masters
- Tony Finau holds off red-hot, defending champ Jon Rahm for PGA title No. 6 at Mexico Open
- LIV Golf dismisses narratives, populating The Masters leaderboard
- When is the 2023 PGA Championship? Location, dates, field and more for next golf major after The Masters
- Jon Rahm drowns out drama and fireworks on his way to Masters title
- Jon Rahm comes from behind to win The Masters: Golf world celebrates
One Round 3 pairing at the 2015 Masters immediately stood out as having the chance to get a little awkward. Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcia, longtime rivals with a history of both on-course and off-course incidents, were matched together for Saturday’s competition.
Garcia tried to smooth things over before any controversy started with a couple of direct tweets to Woods on Friday evening.
No public response from Woods, who has enough to worry about this weekend with all the storylines surrounding him.
The contentious rivalry dates all the way back to some comments in 1999, but really intensified at the 2013 Players Championship, when Garcia blamed Woods for a bad shot. Garcia retaliated with his infamous and totally inappropriate “fried chicken” comments a couple of weeks later.
Both golfers entered the third round at -2. The “moving on” strategy has apparently worked for Woods, who has shot four-under through 12 holes on Saturday and is tied for eighth place despite having rather low expectations going in. Garcia is even on the round and sits a little further back in 24th place.
Maybe Woods used the pairing with his archrival as some motivation, but he’s going to need a lot more to catch leader Jordan Spieth at -15.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle