30. WWE Royal Rumble 1999
Match card & results
- Big Boss Man def. Road Dogg
- WWE Intercontinental Championship Match: Ken Shamrock (c) def. Billy Gunn
- WWE European Championship Match: X-Pac (c) def. Gangrel
- Strap Match for the WWE Women’s Championship: Sable (c) def. Luna Vachon
- “I Quit” Match for the WWE Championship: The Rock def. Mankind (c)
- Mr. McMahon wins 30-Man Royal Rumble Match
One had to be last and I decided to go with the 1999 Royal Rumble here. The “I Quit” Match between The Rock and Mankind is easily the highlight here but it wasn’t enough to keep this Rumble out of the bottom spot. This match is insanely brutal and features way too many chair shots to the head. Yes, they still let them do this back then but knowing what we know now, this was really dangerous as Foley took shot after shot while handcuffed and it was enough to make his wife cry and take the kids away from it. You could tell Mick was trying to get Rock to hit him in the back but it didn’t work out so well. Go and watch Beyond The Mat if you haven’t already and you’ll see how this affected a lot of people.
The rest of the undercard was mediocre at best with the Intercontinental Championship bout between Billy Gunn and Ken Shamrock being the highlight. As for the Royal Rumble match itself, it really feels like a bunch of broken segments thrown in to buy time while we waited for the Austin and McMahon drama to play out. Mr. McMahon winning was a bad idea, even for Attitude Era standards. With everyone they had on the roster at the time, this should have been a much better Rumble match and a much better show overall.