Ben Taylor (Backpicks.com and Nylon Calculus) joins Jason Mann to chat about Larry Bird’s last great NBA performance, a 49-point triple-double in a 152-148 double OT win over Clyde Drexler and the Blazers, on the latest episode of the Over and Back Classic NBA Podcast.
We discuss a thrilling game with two buzzer-beaters from Bird and Kevin Gamble, how rare it is for two teams to score more than 148 points in the same game, time catching up to the Bird-McHale-Parish Celtics after so many great years, how the early 1990s Drexler-Porter-Kersey Blazers are a bit underappreciated despite two Finals appearances and a pleasing style, Bird managing to remain great into the 1990s even with major back trouble, and how both teams enjoyed the running game. We also share some thoughts on Clifford Robinson, Danny Ainge, Reggie Lewis, and a young Rick Fox.
Listen: Remember the 1998 playoffs?
We also discuss Ben’s recent Top 40 Best Careers in NBA History series: ranking Kobe Bryant outside the top 10, LeBron James vs. Michael Jordan, Reggie Miller and Patrick Ewing being better than perhaps you remember, the great Chris Paul ranking controversy, what truly makes a great passer, and some of his other upcoming projects.
Archives & Subscribe
- Over and Back Classic NBA Podcast Archives: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/overandbacknba
- Subscribe to Over and Back on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/over-back-classic-nba-podcast/id1027430078?mt=2
- Subscribe to all the Step Back podcasts on one feed with The Step Back Podcast Network on iTunes
- Subscribe to Over and Back on Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/over-and-back-classic-nba-basketball
- Follow Over and Back on Twitter: @OverAndBackNBA
- Follow NBA 20 Years Ago on Twitter: @NBA20YearsAgo
- Follow Jason Mann on Twitter: @JasonMannFor3
- Follow Rich Kraetsch on Twitter: @richkraetsch
- Follow The Step Back on Twitter: @The_Step_Back
- Follow The Step Back’s Facebook page
Thanks for listening, downloading, subscribing and supporting!