21. Michigan – The Wolverine offense looked a lot better against Western Michigan than it did last week vs. Notre Dame. Then again, it’s supposed to, so the jury is still out for this team. The run game looked great with 308 total yards, including 156 on only 13 carries from Karan Higdon. Shea Patterson also threw three touchdowns, but if Michigan is going to make noise in the Big Ten, they’ll need this type of production against Penn State, Michigan State and Ohio State, a much different class of opponent than WMU.
22. Miami – The Canes got healthy feasting on Savannah State after being embarrassed by LSU in their opener. Malik Rosier and N’Kosi Perry shared duties under center as Mark Richt looks to identify a starter for ACC play. Rosier had 131 yards and two touchdowns while Perry threw for 93 yards and three scores but had a pick. Look for both to continue splitting the load next week vs. Toledo and Florida International the next two games before opening ACC play vs. North Carolina on Sept. 27.
23. Oregon – 250 yards and four more touchdowns for quarterback Justin Herbert who looks like the early favorite to be the top quarterback in the NFL Draft, and a potential Heisman candidate if the Ducks keep winning.
24. South Carolina – The Gamecocks will not be ranked next week after taking it on the chin vs. rival Georgia. Jake Bentley threw a pair of interceptions, including a pick-six in the opening minutes that put them behind early. The game was lost when Georgia rolled up 21 unanswered points in the third quarter. Bryan Edwards had a nice game, however, with seven catches for 112 yards and both of South Carolina’s touchdowns on the day.
25. Florida – The Gators suffered the worst loss of the week, snapping their 31-game win streak vs. Kentucky. The Wildcats hadn’t beaten Florida in Gainesville since 1979 but won 27-16 to give first-year Florida coach Dan Mullen plenty to work on when he goes back to the film room to see what went wrong against the Cats. In short, Florida doesn’t have a quarterback, and Jim McElwain left the cupboard pretty bare when he was fired in the middle of last season. There will be more losses for Florida this year, but none more embarrassing than this.