21. Miami – Toledo hung with the Canes for 2.5 quarters before Malik Rosier and company put the game away. The Canes signal-caller had two passing scores and three rushing scores as he accounted for 285 yards of offense. Any quarterback controversy at The U appears to be on the shelf for now.
22. USC – Just an ugly loss to Texas. USC led 14-3 in the second quarter but then the Longhorns scored 34 unanswered points. There will be growing pains with young players at key positions, but I didn’t see this coming. The Trojans running game was non-existent and if you find it, please let Clay Helton and Tee Martin know a run game is beneficial when you have a true freshman under center.
23. Arizona State – One week after Herm Edwards’ team upset Michigan State to crack the Top 25, the Sun Devils will be dropped after losing to San Diego State. The Aztecs completely dominated on the ground, especially in the second half to bleed the clock and keep the ball away from Manny Wilkins and N’Keal Harry. Arizona State was outgained 311-36 on the ground and was dominated in the time of possession. San Diego State held the ball for 12:10 longer than ASU.
24. Oklahoma State – Impressive 44-21 win for the Pokes over Boise State as first-year starting quarterback Taylor Cornelius and team improve to 3-0 on the year. Justice Hill ran for 123 and a touchdown, Cornelius accounted for three scores, but it was the defense that stole the show. The Pokes had seven sacks, 10 tackles for loss and a touchdown. If they get this type of defensive effort all year, they could be legit contenders for the Big 12.
25. Michigan State – The Spartans were idle this week as they recover from their last-second loss at Arizona State in Week 2. Michigan State travels to Indiana in Week 4 where they’ll look to get back in the win column.