This week on the Over and Back Classic NBA Podcast, Jason and Rich look at notable one-year stints with an NBA team that didn’t work out as expected.
Examples included in this episode are:
- Carmelo Anthony’s one-year run with the Oklahoma City Thunder: his pairing with Russell Westbrook and Paul George, whether Anthony was disappointing or simply didn’t meet expectations, memorable quotes and most “memorable” games during Anthony’s run in OKC.
- Dwight Howard as a member of the Los Angeles Lakers: Sports Illustrated said it was going to be fun. Spoiler: it wasn’t. Discussions include what led Howard to Los Angeles, the massive trade that brought him there and chemistry issues with Kobe Bryant from day one.
- Nate “Tiny” Archibald on the Nets: Archibald finally came home to the New York Nets but things were very different when he arrived. Discussions include the breaking up of a championship Nets team, Julius Erving going elsewhere, Archibald’s injuries and eventual reemergence as a member and champion with the Boston Celtics.
- Chris Webber’s one-year with Golden State: Drafted first overall and immediately traded, Webber’s tenure with Golden State started off on the wrong foot and never recovered. Despite playing well throughout the year and earning Rookie of the Year honor, Webber was shipped to Washington in the offseason. Discussions include Webber’s production, how he fit into the Nellie Ball system, the emerging Warriors at the time and the quotes from Don Nelson and Webber after the season.
- Paul Westphal’s disappointing run in Seattle: The once great Westphal saw his career immediately unravel when he came to Seattle, a team only two years removed for their championship now a shell of their former selves. Discussions include Westphal’s fall in stats, Seattle turmoil and much more.
- Last but not least, Scottie Pippen’s tumultuous year in Houston: Fresh off his second three-peat with the Bulls, Pippen goes to Houston to team with Charles Barkley and Hakeem Olajuwon. It doesn’t go well. Pippen and Barkley have issues getting along, the aging team begins breaking down and tensions rise throughout the year. Come for the background, stay for the quote battle between Barkley and Pippen.
Archives & Subscribe
- Over and Back Classic NBA Podcast Archives: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/overandbacknba
- Subscribe to Over and Back on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/over-back-classic-nba-podcast/id1027430078?mt=2
- Subscribe to Over and Back on Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/over-and-back-classic-nba-basketball
- Subscribe to Over and Back on Google Podcasts: https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/ps/Ik3cvvpyc77ubuc5ntnjwt6qo7y
- Subscribe to all the Step Back podcasts on one feed with The Step Back Podcast Network on iTunes
- Follow Over and Back on Twitter: @OverAndBackNBA
- Follow Over and Back’s Facebook page
- Follow Jason Mann on Twitter: @JasonMannFor3
- Follow Rich Kraetsch on Twitter: @richkraetsch
- Follow The Step Back on Twitter: @The_Step_Back
- Follow The Step Back’s Facebook page
Thanks for listening, downloading, subscribing and supporting!