Here at Fastbreak Breakfast we frequently have to tell people “No, we aren’t a Grizzlies podcast.” We cover the entire league, it just so happens that two of us (Keith, Jon) are longtime Grit ‘n’ Grind enthusiasts, while the third (Chuck) has developed an affinity for them. And while we give Memphis more attention than most podcasts, we usually think that’s just because they are one of the many obscenely under-covered small market teams. In our opinion, we actually do a good job of not focusing on them that frequently.
That is until they lay a giant egg on opening night and send us into a panic. After one terrible game they now have an expected .4 wins, based on their efficiency differential. We weren’t expecting anything grand for the Grizzlies this season, but we did have SOME optimism that they would be a tough team to play. And that they wouldn’t be a complete embarrassment to the game of basketball.
So on a new episode we collectively lose our minds about Memphis’ offense, defense, rotations and strategy for awhile before regaining composure to look at the rest of the NBA, including:
- Did the Nuggets have to give Mike Malone an extension?
- Are the 76ers in trouble with their second unit, or are the Celtics just going to be that dominant on defense all season?
- Does the Pelicans blow-out win over the Rockets mean that Houston really is going to miss Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute this season?
- What are our takeaways from the Luka Doncic/DeAndre Ayton rookie showdown?
- Who had the most surprising or awful non-Grizzlies performances on opening night?
If you want to gain access to exclusive Fastbreak Breakfast bonus content including extra full episodes, go to Patreon.com/Fastbreakbreakfast. We believe in supporting the content we enjoy and also building relationships with our biggest fans, and all of that is accomplished at Patreon.com/Fastbreakbreakfast.
At the very least, consider writing us a five-star review on Apple Podcasts!