21. South Florida (L 57-36 Houston) – USF has flirted with their first loss a few times this year but they couldn’t avoid it against D’Eriq King and Houston. The Bulls defense was non-existent on the afternoon as King threw for more than 400 yards and five touchdowns and added 134 yards and two touchdowns on the ground in the loss.
22. NC State (L 51-41 Syracuse) – The second straight loss for The Wolfpack who looked like they were fighting an emotional hangover after the blowout loss to Clemson last week as they trailed 24-7 after one quarter. The defense was abysmal as Eric Dungey threw for 411 yards and accounted for four touchdowns. Ryan Finley put up gaudy numbers to make it close late, finishing with 473 yards and three touchdowns, albeit in the losing effort.
23. Utah (W 41-10 UCLA) – If you stayed up late Friday night to watch the World Series, you may have noticed the Utes had a big win that night too. Zack Davis led the offensive attack with 211 rushing yards and three touchdowns as Utah ran for 325 yards to UCLA’s 127. That’ll often result in a blowout win for the team that can run the ball best.
24. Stanford (L 38-41 Washington State) – K.J. Costello had a really nice game, throwing for 323 yards and four touchdowns, including a pair to J.J. Arcega-Whiteside on a night Bryce Love was limited to five carries. But the defense let the offense down as it allowed 41 points, including the game-winning field goal in the final seconds. Their Pac-12 title hopes might be squashed.
25. Appalachian State (L 34-14 Ga Southern) – The first week for Appalachian State being ranked will be the last one for a while after a 20-point loss to Georgia Southern on Thursday night. It puts them behind in the Sun Belt race too after committing a whopping five turnovers.