By the time the dust settled and the credits rolled, who was still alive after Avengers: Endgame?
Warning: MAJOR Avengers: Endgame spoilers will follow.
After learning of Ebony Maw’s death in Avengers: Infinity War, Thanos said, “This day extracts a heavy toll.” Fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe are feeling their own heavy toll in the wake of Endgame. Many fallen heroes returned this time, but other beloved heroes were lost as well. We’re going to take a look at who was still alive at the end of the movie through three groups–those still alive at the end of Infinity War, those who returned from the Decimation, and those alive through time travel.
The Infinity War survivors
Most of the confirmed Infinity War survivors heading into Endgame managed to survive this time as well. Iron Man/Tony Stark and Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff lost their lives as they made powerful sacrifices for their friends and the entire universe. Captain America/Steve Rogers survived, though when he went back in time to put the Infinity Stones back, he stayed there for a while and was able to grow old and enjoy life with his great love Peggy Carter.
In a more traditional fashion than Captain America, these confirmed Infinity War survivors also survived Endgame:
- Thor: He passes on the mantle of New Asgard’s ruler to Valkyrie before joining the Guardians of the Galaxy aboard the Benatar.
- Hawkeye/Clint Barton: Hawkeye is able to reunite with the family he tragically lost at the beginning of the movie.
- Professor Hulk: His arm’s in a sling from wielding the Infinity Stones, but Professor Hulk is alive and ensures Captain America can go back in time to replace the Infinity Stones to where they belong in the timeline.
- Rocket: Reunited with Groot and the other Guardians who perished during the Decimation, Rocket boards the Benatar, this time accompanied by Thor as well.
- Nebula (at least the version that survived Infinity War): Nebula formed some nice bonds with some of the Avengers, but she’s back with her Guardians of the Galaxy family aboard the Benatar at the end of the film.
- Okoye: After helping to lead Wakanda in the five years after the Decimation, Okoye joined the final fight and is ready to help serve Wakanda once again.
- Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers: She made a grand entrance by saving Tony and Nebula, and five years later made an even more epic entrance during the final battle. She’s last seen at Tony Stark’s funeral with Nick Fury, the duo that made so much possible in the first place.
- Pepper Potts: Losing the love of your life is devastating, but at least Pepper knows Tony died a true hero and is now at peace. She is also surrounded by so many loving friends and family, most importantly including her daughter Morgan.
- James Rhodes/War Machine: He was one of the last to be by Tony’s side and was there during the funeral of his dear friend.
- Ant-Man/Scott Lang: Reversing the Decimation wouldn’t have been possible without Scott’s idea to use the Quantum Realm. Fortunately he gets to enjoy the fruits of his labor as he’s last seen sitting happily with his daughter Cassie and partner Hope van Dyne, the latter of whom wouldn’t be there if the Decimation hadn’t been undone.
- Valkyrie: She certainly deserves her new role as the Queen of New Asgard. Thor made the right decision and we can’t wait to see how New Asgard flourishes under Valkyrie’s leadership.
- Happy Hogan: Tony may be gone, but Morgan will always have people like Happy to support her and to keep her father’s memory alive.
- Wong: Arguably no one knows how to make a better entrance or exit than Wong, proven with the epic way he showed up for the final battle in Endgame.
- M’Baku: It’s difficult to remember M’Baku challenging T’Challa in the beginning of Black Panther considering how the two characters have now fought alongside one another in Black Panther, Infinity War, and Endgame.
- Aunt May: Tony Stark risked everything to bring Peter Parker and so many others back, a sacrifice Aunt May definitely recognizes as she attends Tony’s funeral.
The Decimation survivors
After much sacrifice and risk, many of the heroes who perished during the Decimation came back to life and joined the final fight against 2014 Thanos and his minions.
Between that final stand, Tony Stark’s funeral, and the reunions at the end, here are the characters who were confirmed to have fallen victim to the Decimation, but returned to life in Endgame:
- Nick Fury: Attending Tony Stark’s funeral must be a bittersweet affair for Nick Fury. He bids farewell to the incredible man who made the Avengers Initiative possible and saved the universe. At the same time, he’s also able to see heroes from all walks of life united there, many of whom were only brought together through Fury’s doing.
- Black Panther/T’Challa: He is seen overlooking a revitalized Wakanda with his mother Ramonda and sister Shuri, ready to lead Wakanda once more.
- Shuri: Also overlooking Wakanda with her brother and mother, we can’t wait to see what kind of technology Shuri invents next.
- Falcon/Sam Wilson: Captain America passed on the shield to him, a friend Cap’s been able to count on ever since they met in The Winter Soldier.
- Bucky Barnes: Bucky reunited with his oldest friend and got to see him pass on the shield to Sam Wilson.
- Doctor Strange: The one future where the Avengers defeated Thanos for good finally came to fruition, largely thanks to Doctor Strange.
- Spider-Man/Peter Parker: He’s back at high school, embracing his best friend Ned–whose lack of aging indicates he also perished during the Decimation. It won’t be long before audiences see Peter and Ned again as Spider-Man: Far From Home releases this July.
- Wanda Maximoff: The losses of Vision, Tony, and Natasha all sit heavily on Wanda during Tony’s funeral, but at least she doesn’t have to deal with the grief alone. She can also remember her impressive take-down of Thanos.
- Peter Quill/Star-Lord: Peter is back with the Guardians on the Benatar, but things are certainly different for him as Thor’s joined the team, the Gamora that Peter loved is still gone, and he doesn’t know whether 2014 Gamora is still out there.
- Drax: In his own way, Drax seems very excited about Thor joining the Guardians aboard the Benatar.
- Groot: We can all take solace in hearing “I am Groot” again from Groot himself, back with his Guardians’ family and playing video games.
- Mantis: People think Mantis is naive, yet she’s now helped defeat two of the universe’s most dangerous foes–Ego and Thanos. It’s certainly not a bad start, and Mantis will likely continue to take on an even greater role with the Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Maria Hill: Maria Hill supported the Avengers through many of their greatest fights, making it fitting to see her alongside the many heroes at the funeral.
- Hope van Dyne: She and Scott were a true team in the final battle, and unlike in Civil War, they made a mutual decision and fought alongside Captain America together. She attended Tony Stark’s funeral, and later was able to enjoy spending time with Scott and Cassie Lang.
- Hank Pym: He’d had his differences with Howard Stark, but Hank still respected him and was there for the funeral of Howard’s son, who like Howard did so much to make the world a better place.
- Janet van Dyne: At the funeral with her husband and daughter, it’s important to think about how Janet’s experience in the Quantum Realm paved the way for the plan that ultimately helped save the day.
Alive because of time travel (and those who didn’t fit in the other categories)
Through time travel, 2014 Thanos, 2014 Gamora, 2014 Nebula, and Thanos’s minions from that year returned to the present. 2014 Nebula was killed by the present-day Nebula. When Tony Stark snapped his fingers, Thanos and all his minions remaining after the epic battle were snapped away.
While it’s not confirmed whether or not 2014 Gamora survived, it’s pretty safe to say she’s still alive. Peter Quill is already shown to be searching for her. The search for her and how she’ll become part of the Guardians’ team again is a narrative that will likely become a crucial piece of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
It should also be noted that there are a few characters who weren’t confirmed to have survived or died from the Decimation who are alive at the end of Endgame. This includes characters like Korg and Miek who audiences didn’t know survived until they were watching Endgame, and characters like the older Harley Keener–the kid from Iron Man 3–who was at Tony’s funeral.
Ultimately, Avengers: Endgame was an emotional roller coaster for everyone involved. We’re trying to cope with the losses and relieved at those who survived.
Did any character’s survival surprise you in Avengers: Endgame? Let us know in the comments!