10. Week 18 College Basketball Rankings: Purdue Boilermakers (8)
- Record: 25-6 (14-6 in Big Ten)
- Last Week: Lost 70-67 at No. 10 Wisconsin, Won 69-67 vs. Indiana
- Next Game: Big Ten Tournament Quarterfinals 3/11
Losing a tight game at Wisconsin cost the Boilermakers the Big Ten title but they did get some revenge against Indiana by dealing a critical blow to their in-state rivals’ tournament hopes. Purdue is staring at a date with Illinois in the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament, which could be a tough ask since it would require beating the Fighting Illini three times in one season.
9. Week 18 College Basketball Rankings: Villanova Wildcats (HM)
- Record: 23-7 (16-4 in Big East)
- Last Week: Won 76-74 vs. No. 9 Providence, Won 78-59 at Butler
- Next Game: Big East Tournament Quarterfinals 3/10
The Wildcats may not have the Big East regular-season crown but proved they were the league’s best team by completing a season sweep of Providence this week. Jay Wright’s team is the No. 2 seed in the Big East Tournament and awaits the winner of St. John’s and DePaul in the quarterfinals on Thursday night at Madison Square Garden.
8. Week 18 College Basketball Rankings: Kansas Jayhawks (4)
- Record: 25-6 (14-4 in Big 12)
- Last Week: Lost 74-64 at TCU, Won 72-68 vs. TCU, Won 70-63 (OT) vs. No. 21 Texas
- Next Game: Big 12 Tournament Quarterfinals 3/10
It hasn’t been an inspiring stretch run for Kansas, which split its last four games but easily could have gone 0-4 if a few bounces went the other way this week. The Jayhawks will look to get back on track in the Big 12 tournament, where they await the Kansas State-West Virginia winner on Thursday before a potential rematch against either Texas or TCU in the semis.
7. Week 18 College Basketball Rankings: Duke Blue Devils (5)
- Record: 26-5 (16-4 in ACC)
- Last Week: Won 86-56 at Pittsburgh, Lost 94-81 vs. North Carolina
- Next Game: ACC Tournament Quarterfinals 3/10
The fact that the Blue Devils lost Coach K’s final home game was shocking but perhaps we shouldn’t have been surprised that Duke’s players couldn’t live up to the immense pressure of that moment. Krzyzewski will use that loss as an opportunity to reset his team ahead of the ACC Tournament, where the Blue Devils will be heavily favored to cut down the nets in Brooklyn this week.
6. Week 18 College Basketball Rankings: Tennessee Volunteers (9)
- Record: 23-7 (14-4 in SEC)
- Last Week: Won 75-68 at Georgia, Won 78-74 vs. No. 14 Arkansas
- Next Game: SEC Tournament Quarterfinals 3/11
The biggest movers of the week were the Volunteers, who jump three spots after an impressive 2-0 effort to set themselves up well for the SEC Tournament. Tennessee ended up getting the No. 2 seed by winning a tiebreaker against Kentucky, giving themselves a much easier path to the semifinals by beating either Mississippi State or South Carolina on Friday.