MLB Draft: Winners and losers from the first round.
The Major League Baseball Draft is finally upon us and round one delivered on all of the promise in a big way.
The Baltimore Orioles elected to pick Jackson Holliday with the first-overall pick in the draft to the surprise of many. Druw Jones had been believed to be the best true talent in the class and was a safe bet to be picked first.
Without any additional spoilers or further analysis, the Rangers, Cubs, Rockies and Tigers all selected players who weren’t expected to go as high as they ultimately did.
The first round results from this year’s MLB Draft are as follows:
- Baltimore Orioles – SS Jackson Holliday
- Arizona Diamondbacks – OF Druw Jones
- Texas Rangers – RHP Kumar Rocker
- Pittsburgh Pirates – SS Termarr Johnson
- Washington Nationals – OF Elijah Green
- Miami Marlins – INF/OF Jacob Berry
- Chicago Cubs – RHP Cade Horton
- Minnesota Twins – SS Brooks Lee
- Kansas City Royals – OF Gavin Cross
- Colorado Rockies – RHP Gabriel Hughes
- New York Mets – C Kevin Parada
- Detroit Tigers – 2B Jace Jung
- Los Angeles Angels – SS Zach Neto
- New York Mets – INF/OF Jett Williams
- San Diego Padres – RHP Dylan Lesko
- Cleveland Guardians – OF Chase DeLauter
- Philadelphia Phillies – OF Justin Crawford
- Cincinnati Reds – 3B Cam Collier
- Oakland Athletics – C Daniel Susac
- Atlanta Braves – RHP Owen Murphy
- Seattle Mariners – SS Cole Young
- St. Louis Cardinals – LHP Cooper Hjerpe
- Toronto Blue Jays – LHP Brandon Barriera
- Boston Red Sox – SS Mikey Romero
- New York Yankees – OF Spencer Jones
- Chicago White Sox – LHP Noah Schultz
- Milwaukee Brewers – SS Eric Brown Jr.
- Houston Astros – OF Drew Gilbert
- Tampa Bay Rays – 1B Xavier Isaac
- San Francisco Giants – LHP/1B Reggie Crawford
- Colorado Rockies – OF Sterlin Thompson (comp pick for losing Trevor Story)
- Cincinnati Reds – 3B Sal Stewart (comp pick for losing Nick Castellanos)
Let’s take a look at three winners and three losers from the first round of this year’s MLB Draft.