NFL Teams have till this afternoon to trim their 90-man training camp rosters down to 75. Unfortunately that means the end of the road for Havard Rugland, the YouTube sensation known as “Kickalicious,” who had been in camp with the Detroit Lions.
Daivd Akers won the job despite Rugland impressing with “expected leg strength and accuracy at camp.” It’s remarkable considering how pedestrian (and in all accounts, uncharacteristically) Akers played last season. Akers only converted 69% of his kciks last year for the San Francisco 49ers.
“That big boot? He’s legit,” receiver Nate Burleson said earlier this month. ‘”Kickalicious is for real. He isn’t just an Internet sensation.”
For Rugland it was a surreal experience.
“It’s kind of surreal,” he said. ”A year ago, I was kicking all alone in Norway. And suddenly, I’m here.”
Akers said earlier this preseason that Rugland lacked experience.
“Does he have talent? Absolutely. Does he know what he’s getting into yet? Absolutely not,” Akers said. ”He’s really raw, but his leg is powerful enough for the NFL. The biggest thing for him is, getting experience because he doesn’t have any.”
The Lions also released cornerback De’Quan Menzie.
Teams also making cuts:
- New York Jets released 14 players
- Philadelphia Eagles released 11 players
- Buffalo Bills release 5 players
- Tennessee Titans release 7 players
- New England Patriots release 5 players
- Seattle Seahawks release 8 players
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers release 6 players
- St. Louis Rams release 10 players
- Washington Redskins release 5 players
Stay tuned to FanSided.com as we keep you updated.