The baseball Hot Stove has officially boiled over.
To add to the plethora of signings taking place in the last few days, the New York Yankees have signed free agent outfielder Carlos Beltran to a three-year deal. The deal was first reported by Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News.
BREAKING: Source says Yankees and Carlos Beltran have agreed to a three-year deal. More details to come.
— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN) December 7, 2013
Earlier in the day, New York and the world learned that perennial All Star second baseman Robinson Cano had agreed to terms on a 10-year $240 million deal with the Seattle Mariners.
We then learned that Mike Napoli had agreed to return to the Boston Red Sox. Not even an hour later, the Yankees have responded with a signing of their own.
The Beltran deal is said to be for 3-years and $45 million according to Tim Brown at Yahoo! Sports.
The Beltran contract with Yankees is $15m per year, three years, source says.
— Tim Brown (@TBrownYahoo) December 7, 2013
Beltran, who will turn 37 in April, has hit at a .283 clip with 358 homeruns and 1327 RBI over 16 seasons. Ever-known as a playoff monster, Beltran has hit .333 with 16 HRs and 40 RBI over 51 postseason games.
He is no stranger to New York sports fans, having spent 7 seasons with the Mets before being traded to the San Francisco Giants in 2011. Beltran spent the last two years with the St. Louis Cardinals where the 8-time All Star and 1999 AL Rookie of the Year hit .282 with 56 HRs and 181 RBI over 296 games.