In the main event of UFC Fight Night 49, former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson faced off against Rafael dos Anjos in a battle of two of the top 155-pounders in the world.
Henderson (21-3) entered Saturday night’s fight at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma on a two-fight winning streak. In his last appearance back in June, Henderson scored a win over Rustam Khabilov with what was his first stoppage victory in four years.
He was hoping to keep the momentum rolling on Saturday night.
For dos Anjos (21-7), who was coming off of a TKO win over Jason High, it was the most important fight of his career.
With a win over Henderson, dos Anjos would be positioned for another top-tier opponent that could set himself up for a potential shot at the title.
Play-by-play coverage from the bout can be seen below:
Round 1: Henderson went right to the center of the cage and started pawing out his ab to gauge the range. The two men exchanged leg kicks. Dos Anjos hit Henderson with a left hand and dos Anjos fired of another combination to follow it up. Henderson knocked dos Anjos to the mat with a front kick to the body, but dos Anjos popped back to his feet and put the pressure on Henderson. Dos Anjos hit Henderson with a flying knee before before dos Anjos went after Henderson with a huge left hand that put Henderson out. It was a huge win for dos Anjos who could one or two wins away from a title shot.
Official Result: Rafael dos Anjos def. Benson Henderson via KO (punch) – Round 1, 2:31
The current results for UFC Fight Night 48 can be seen below:
- Jordan Mein def. Mike Pyle via KO (punches) – Round 1, 1:12
- Thales Leites def. Francis Carmont via KO (strikes) – Round 2, 0:20
- Max Holloway def. Clay Collard via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 3:47
- James Vick def. Valmir Lazaro via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Chas Skelly def. Tom Niinimaki via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:35
- Neil Magny def. Alex Garcia via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Beneil Dariush def. Tony Martin via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 3:38
- Matt Hobar def. Aaron Phillips via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ben Saunders def. Chris Heatherly via submission (omaplata) – Round 1, 2:18
- Wilson Reis def. Joby Sanchez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Be sure to stay tuned to FanSided.com throughout the day, as we bring you live play-by-play coverage of the second event from the UFC double-header on the scene from Tulsa, Oklahoma.