While the Miami Heat may be waiting on decisions from Pau Gasol, Luol Deng and Trevor Ariza, they can’t sit idle on their hands while their competition snags available players. One such talent who has drawn a significant amount of free agent interest is Marvin Williams, formerly of the Utah Jazz.
More from Miami Heat
- Predicting NBA’s Christmas Day Schedule: Lakers, Warriors highlight slate of postseason rematches
- 3 reasons the Blazers should trade Damian Lillard to the Heat and 2 reasons they shouldn’t
- 5 former Heat players to sign on veteran minimum deals, ranked
- NBA Rumors: Damian Lillard’s apology, ex-Heat player’s reflection, Darvin Ham bites a Nugget
- 3 potential James Harden suitors not named the Clippers
A tiny market for small forwards has Williams among the most in-demand talents as he’s drawn interest from upwards of seven teams in recent days. Given that, the Miami Heat know they’ll have to start heavily recruiting the former North Carolina star and according to Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports, already flew to meet with the one time Tarheel.
Both Pat Riley and head coach Eric Spoelstra flew to meet with Williams, so it’s clear they’re holding no punches in their attempts to woo the forward who is drawing interest from ‘multiple contenders’.
Of course, Williams isn’t exactly the most high quality talent and is a significant step below the other talents the Miami Heat are lusting over. However, Marvin Williams will come cheaply and he would likely garner a solid amount of playing time in South Beach.
Granted, nobody is going to sign with the Heat until they know what LeBron James plans to do and that may harm Williams’ chances of signing in Miami considering he can’t let other opportunities pass him by. Still, it’s clear the Heat have heavy interest in the former No. 5 pick.
There have been no rumors of any numbers or years on a potential contract at this point.