Oakland Raiders cornerback DJ Hayden returns from injury and will take part in his first NFL practice in five months.
More from Las Vegas Raiders
- Raiders: Saquon Barkley’s new contract may have screwed over Josh Jacobs
- Raiders sign coveted All-Pro ahead of training camp
- Raiders RB Josh Jacobs leaves Vegas in dramatic fashion amid contract dispute
- NFL Rumors: Insider predicts great news for Raiders on free agency front
- Austin Ekeler leading RB revolt with Zoom meeting of biggest names
It’s been nearly five months since DJ Hayden practiced for the Oakland Raiders but the second-year defensive back is set to change that today as he’s scheduled to practice with the team.
After suffering a foot injury during an offseason workout, Hayden was forced to have surgery and in turn missed training camp, the entire Oakland Raiders preseason and has been out of action through their first five regular season games.
Thankfully though that is all set to change.
As Ian Rapoport notes, just because DJ Hayden has returned to practice doesn’t mean he’s going to be activated immediately as he’s likely to need a week or two to get himself back in game-ready shape. Still, his return is extremely good news for the Oakland Raiders as DJ Hayden has proven himself to be one of the better defensive backs in the league when healthy and he’s certain to help their struggling defense.
You may recall Hayden also missed the final eight games of the 2013 season for the Oakland Raiders so it’s been a while since he was actually able to contribute on the gridiron.
It’s likely to take some time before DJ Hayden returns to form given the amount of time he’s missed (essentially a full season when the two absences are combined) so expectations need to be tempered when he does return. Still, if he can finally remain healthy, Hayden will undoubtedly help the Oakland Raiders defense moving forward.
Hayden, a former first-round pick (12th overall) intercepted one pass and tackled 23 in his lone eight games during his rookie season prior to his injury.
More from FanSided
- MLB Trade Grades: Dodgers land Amed Rosario from Guardians
- Colorado gives Pac-12 a possible death knell with move to Big 12
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook suitor maintaining very ‘real’ interest
- Braves get dose of bad news on Max Fried as ace nears return
- LA Galaxy vs. Club Leon Leagues Cup match rescheduled for July 26