Johnny Manziel and the Cleveland Browns had a rough weekend leading up to the NFL‘s regular season finale, with the team sending security to Manziel’s house to find him when he did not show up for a walk-through.
Let’s be clear: NFL teams are not adverse to babysitting players. Yes, it means hand-holding for a grown man so that he meets his basic responsibilities and stays out of trouble, but teams will do so if that’s what it takes to keep the player on the field.
More from Cleveland Browns
- Browns release 2022 draft pick after allegations he threatened a woman
- Browns wave white flag against the Steelers months ahead of time
- NFL Power Rankings: Who is the best quarterback in each division?
- NFL Power Rankings: Which teams will have the best rushing attacks this season?
- NFL rumors: DeAndre Hopkins reunion with former quarterback off the table
That all comes with one important caveat, however: the player has to be worth the headache. Take Dez Bryant and the Dallas Cowboys. They went to the trouble of babysitting him, and now he is putting up a sensational season as a dominant number one wide receiver.
Unfortunately for Johnny Manziel, he has not yet given any indications he will be worth the hassle in an admittedly tiny sample size this season. Still, one would think that it is wearing on the Browns that they have to babysit him and they don’t even know if he can play or not.
This past weekend, Manziel threw a big party and then missed a team walk-through on Saturday. Apparently he wasn’t answering any of his cell phones, either, because the team couldn’t find him. They even sent team security to his house, according to Jason La Canfora:
"Manziel was also not present for Saturday’s walk-through. The Browns had to send security personnel to Manziel’s house on Saturday to try to locate him when he was absent from the building, according to a source with knowledge of the situation."
What probably matters the most is the fact that Manziel’s teammates are reportedly growing tired of his act. That resonates as much as anything else when considering Manziel’s staying power in the NFL and if he will be worth the headache or not.
All we know at this point is that he has been every bit the hassle that some teams feared he would be in his rookie season.
More from FanSided
- NFL rumors: Aaron Rodgers sets Jets up for Super Bowl run with new contract
- MLB Trade Grades: Dodgers land Amed Rosario from Guardians
- Colorado gives Pac-12 a possible death knell with move to Big 12
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook suitor maintaining very ‘real’ interest
- Braves get dose of bad news on Max Fried as ace nears return