Big ticket items Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel may be gone, but the great Cubs sell-off isn’t anywhere near over yet. And one of the next to go could be Friday’s walk-off hero Justin Ruggiano. Per Bruce Levine of 670TheScore.com, the Kansas City Royals are targeting both Ruggiano and pitcher Carlos Villanueva.
More from Chicago Cubs
- MLB Rumors: Yankees mistake, Cardinals trade package, Cubs choice
- MLB Rumors: Cardinals budging on Arenado, Orioles-Ohtani package, Yankees backup plan
- Cubs: Cody Bellinger is putting up come-and-get-me numbers
- Cubs front office deserves an apology for Willson Contreras hysteria
- MLB standings ordered by hard hit rate: Struggling Cardinals still cracking bats
Ruggiano is hitting .286 this year for the Cubs with 4 HR and 19 RBI in 147 ABs. He’s been a nice reliable player for the Cubs this year, and he has a little flair for the dramatic as he showed Friday by knocking in the winning run in extra innings against the Braves.
Unlike Ruggiano, Villanueva has been anything but reliable for the Cubs. He’s 4-6 in 2014 with a 6.47 ERA in 24 appearances including 5 starts. The Royals would have to be pretty desperate for relief pitchers to target Villanueva, who has just been dreadful.
Expect lots more Cubs-related rumors to pop up in the coming days. Chicago management has made no secret of their desire to keep selling off pieces and accumulating assets as they look to the future.
Pretty much everyone on Chicago is a trade bait right now, except Anthony Rizzo.