Oklahoma City Thunder star point guard Russell Westbrook will likely be back in action Wednesday against the Philadelphia 76ers.
Russell Westbrook suffered a tough injury to his face last Friday night against the Portland Trail Blazers when teammate Andre Roberson accidentally kneed him in the face during a scramble for a rebound, leaving an imprint on his right cheek.
More from Golden State Warriors
- Predicting NBA’s Christmas Day Schedule: Lakers, Warriors highlight slate of postseason rematches
- Steph Curry still defends Kevin Durant: ‘Most misunderstood dude’ in the NBA
- NBA Rumors: Warriors, Lakers among contenders for key free agent
- Warriors projected lineup and rotations heading into 2023-24 season
- Draymond Green blasts Kevin Garnett after falling for a fake tweet
Westbrook underwent surgery on Saturday to repair his zygomatic arch bone in his cheek. Westbrook likely will wear a protective mask if he returns on Wednesday, according to Adrian Wojnarowski.
The Thunder are lucky that Westbrook’s injury wasn’t more serious, as they’re already missing star forward Kevin Durant who has a foot injury.
Russell Westbrook is making a big case for himself to win the MVP this season as he remains a sleeper in a tight race that has headlined James Harden and Stephen Curry.
Over 45 games this season, Westbrook has averaged career-highs in points (26.5), rebounds (6.8) and assists (8.1). He’s also had a triple-double in his last three games, including the one he was knocked out of with an injury late in the game on Friday.
Westbrook was the NBA All-Star game MVP in February when he scored 41 points, just one shy of Wilt Chamberlain’s 1962, 42-point All-Star game record.
Westbrook had an amazing February averaging 31.2 points, 9.1 rebounds and 10.3 assists per game and he’ll look to keep that going an keep the Thunder winning as they sit in the eighth seed in the Western Conference with a 33-27 record.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle