If the Dallas Cowboys lose out on running back Demarco Murray, their Plan B will reportedly be free agent C.J. Spiller.
The Dallas Cowboys decided to place the franchise tag on star wide receiver Dez Bryant. As a result, running back DeMarco Murray, who set a franchise rushing record, will hit the open market.
More from Miscellaneous
- Caesars and PointsBet Promo Codes: $1,750 Bonus For ANY World Cup or MLB Game!
- Win $200 GUARANTEED From $1 Bet Today With Bet365 MLB Sign-Up Promo!
- Taylor Swift may have saved the Yankees after slump-busting outing for Anthony Rizzo
- Claim a $1,250 Bonus for ANY Bet With Caesars UFC Promo Code!
- Bet $10, Win $250 GUARANTEED Tonight With FanDuel and DraftKings UFC Promo Codes!
While the Cowboys may anticipate a “soft market” for Murray, they need to have a backup plan in case he decides to leave during free agency.
They seem to have just that.
According to a report from Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, Plan B for the Dallas Cowboys would be former Buffalo Bills running back and former 2010 top-ten pick C.J. Spiller, who was closed the door on a potential return to Buffalo when the team traded linebacker Kiko Alonso for Philadelphia Eagles running back LeSean McCoy.
"The challenge for any team that pursues Spiller becomes figuring out: (1) why his career results have been mixed; and (2) what he can do in 2015 and beyond. Spiller has a career rushing average of 5.0 yards, but that’s bookended by 3.8 as a rookie and 3.8 in his fifth and final season with Buffalo. In Spiller’s second season, a more potent 5.2-yard output emerged. In 2012, he matched Adrian Peterson’s 6.0 yards per carry on 141 fewer tries."
Behind an offensive line that is as talented as the Dallas Cowboys’, Spiller could be poised for a big season.
Of course, he may never get that opportunity if the Cowboys decide his price tag is too much.
A recent report indicated Spiller turned down a $4.5 million per year offer from the Bills, so it will be interesting to see how much he demands on the open market.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle