Antonio Smith, who played for the Houston Texans from 2009 to 2013, could have a reunion with the team in the foreseeable future.
Antonio Smith was released by the Oakland Raiders Tuesday afternoon. After just one season, Smith had just 20 tackles and three sacks. Considering 2014 fourth-round pick Justin Ellis is a part of their long-term plans, the Raiders really had no space for Smith, which is why they released him. Despite being 33 years old, one team who could be the perfect suitor for his services is the Houston Texans.
Playing for the team from 2009 to 2013, Smith enjoyed the most success of his career in Houston as a defensive tackle there. According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the Texans are in talks to bring back the Antonio Smith. Rapoport also reported that this deal could move rather quickly.
More from Houston Texans
- NFL Power Rankings: Who is the best quarterback in each division?
- NFL Power Rankings: Which teams will have the best rushing attacks this season?
- NFL power rankings: Which teams will have the best defense this season?
- Oh, honey: No one told Davis Mills why the Texans took C.J. Stroud
- NFL rumors: Jadeveon Clowney open to returning to former team
Despite Rapoport garnering more of the attention, the
originally reported the news of Smith and how the reunion could be coming soon. As the Chronicle reported, Romeo Crennel wanted to keep him last year, but the Raiders paid him a hefty price tag at $4 million, which was too much for the Texans.
Although the Texans and Smith have mutual interest in each other, the fact of the matter is that Houston is set with their defensive line. In their 3-4 defensive front, J.J. Watt and Jared Crick are the 5-technique defensive ends, while newly-acquired Vince Wilfork is the beef in the middle of the defensive line as the nose tackle. That said, if the Texans do in fact sign Smith, it will likely be for rotational purposes. Despite that, judging by the mutual interest between the two sides, don’t be surprised if this transaction happens soon.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle