Pavel Datsyuk netted an awesome deflection goal to give the Detroit Red Wings a 1-0 lead in their first-round series-opener against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday.
More from NHL
- NHL Rumors: Legendary Patrice Bergeron retires, which 3 players could be next to hang up their skates?
- NHL Rumors: Latest on Hart, Hellebuyck, Gibson trade possibilities
- NHL Rumors: 5 forwards most likely to sign early extensions this summer
- NHL Rumors: Where things stand with Erik Karlsson, Penguins and Hurricanes
- NHL Rumors: Penguins nearly traded for Erik Karlsson at deadline
Pavel Datsyuk put the Detroit Red Wings on the board Thursday in impressive fashion.
The forward netted a sick deflection goal just over nine minutes into their first-round series-opener against the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Yeah, that’s a pretty nasty goal. It doesn’t get much better than that.
Incredibly enough, the goal from Datsyuk was Detroit’s first shot attempt of the game.
Unfortunately for the Red Wings, their 1-0 lead over the Lightning wouldn’t last very long. Brian Boyle evened the score with a shorthanded goal at the 14:31 mark of the opening period.
The score remained 1-1 for the rest of the first period. Tampa Bay had 10 shots in the game’s first 20 minutes compared to just three for Detroit.
The Red Wings entered the game with a 43-25-14 regular season record while the Lightning went 50-24-8
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle