Not Juan, but two goals for Mata! Manchester United’s Juan Mata scored a beautiful scissor kick goal against Liverpool on Sunday that was pure class.
Manchester United was leading Liverpool by one goal at Anfield and the home side was down a man, after Steven Gerrard was sent off just seconds after being substituted into the game for stomping on an opponent. (Video here)
More from Soccer
- LeBron James, Giannis, Damian Lillard all want that Mbappé money
- Is this Alex Morgan’s last Women’s World Cup with the USWNT?
- Caesars and PointsBet Promo Codes: $1,750 Bonus For ANY World Cup or MLB Game!
- DraftKings + FanDuel World Cup Promos: Bet $10 on USA vs Netherlands, Win $250 Bonus GUARANTEED!
- NWSL Challenge Cup news: Courage ruthless against Washington, Racing remain perfect
Things got worse for Liverpool just 13 minutes later, when Juan Mata scored a beautiful scissor kick goal.
After Angel Di Maria perfectly chipped the ball into the box, Juan Mata connected on the scissor volley to catch Liverpool goalie Simon Mignolet out of position as the ball bounced into the lower left corner.
Mata’s goal put Manchester United ahead of Liverpool, 2-0. It was Mata’s second goal of the match.
There was some good news for Liverpool, however.
While it appeared that the two-goal deficit would be too much to overcome playing a man down, Daniel Sturridge gave the Liverpool fans some hope by scoring just minutes later.
It will still be a tough task for Liverpool to come back, but Sturridge’s goal provided some hope at Anfield for the final seconds of the match while Manchester United and Liverpool battle for fourth place in the Barclays Premier League table.
[H/T: Cork Gaines]
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle