The 15-seed Oral Roberts Golden Eagles pulled off a 75-72 victory over the 2-seed Ohio State Buckeyes and made March Madness history in the process.
The 15-seed Oral Roberts Golden Eagles pulled off a 75-72 victory over the 2-seed Ohio State Buckeyes and made history in the process.
Kevin Obanor’s 30 points and Max Abmas‘ 29 points ensured that the Golden Eagles would become the ninth team in NCAA tournament history to go in as a 15th seed and knock off a two seed. The most recent team to accomplish the feat was Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders in 2016 when the Blue Raiders knocked out Tom Izzo’s Michigan State Spartans 90-81.
The farthest a 15-seed has ever gone in the tournament was Florida Gulf Coast in 2013 when the Eagles advanced to the Sweet 16 before falling to Florida, who ironically, will face Oral Roberts in their next tournament game.
You can always count on March Madness providing a Cinderella story and this year’s glass slipper bearers just may be the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles.
List of 15-seeds beating 2-seeds in the NCAA Tournament
- 1991: Richmond beats Syracuse 73-69
- 1993: Santa Clara beats Arizona 64-61
- 1997: Coppin State beats South Carolina 78-65
- 2001: Hampton beats Iowa State 58-57
- 2012: Lehigh beats Duke 75-70
- 2012: Norfolk State beats Missouri 86-84
- 2013: Florida Gulf Coast beats Georgetown 78-68
- 2016: Middle Tennesse State beats Michigan State 90-81
- 2021: Oral Roberts beats Ohio State 75-72
For more NCAA basketball news, analysis, opinion and features, check out more from the FanSided college basketball section to stay on top of the latest action.