Aug 17, 2013; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith (7) drops back to pass during warmups before a preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

Geno Smith says New York Jets quarterback competition is still open


New York Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith had a real chance to become the team’s starting signal-caller for the 2013-14 NFL season, but an ankle injury forced him out of his preseason debut and led to an awful week of practice for the first-year pro. As a result, Jets head coach Rex Ryan kept Smith out of the team’s second preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

According to Jane McManus of ESPNNewYork.com, Smith said that he is closing in on 100 percent and still ready to compete with veteran Mark Sanchez for the starting quarterback job for the remainder of the preseason.

I was told the competition is still open,” Smith said.

Smith likely could have played if he would have rested at the beginning of last week and returned to practice when he was fully healthy, but his desire to compete would not allow him to stay off of the field.

“I wanted to be out there in practice,” Smith said. “I wouldn’t allow them to keep me out of practice. Any chance I get to complete, I’m going to take full advantage of it.”

Unfortunately, that is what allowed the door to open even further for Sanchez to prove that he should be the man leading the Jets.

The only good news for Smith is that Sanchez continues to show inconsistencies when he is out on the field, but Smith will need to have a lights out performance to finish the preseason if he wants any shot at winning the No. 1 spot on the roster.

Tags: Geno Smith New York Jets