It is appearing increasingly likely that left-handed starting pitcher Jon Lester will be traded by the Boston Red Sox before Thursday afternoon’s MLB trade deadline.
More from Boston Red Sox
- After frantic trade day, Kiké Hernandez grateful for second chance with Dodgers
- MLB Rumors: Potential Braves reunion, Lance Lynn no-trade clause and Orioles deadline intentions
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- MLB Trade Grades: Dodgers reunite with familiar face in Red Sox deal
- MLB Rumors: Braves trade package, White Sox-Reds deal, Mets disaster
After being scratched from Wednesday night’s start against the Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway Park, the trade rumors began to pick up.
Now, according to CBS Sports, it appears that two teams are in the lead and aggressively pursuing the Red Sox ace.
Those teams are the Los Angeles Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals.
Both teams are also interested in Tampa Bay Rays starter David Price.
From CBS Sports:
"St. Louis and LA seem fairly determined to land another front-line starter and word is both teams have remained in on both big pitchers."
The Seattle Mariners and Pittsburgh Pirates are also believed to be pursuing Lester, so there is plenty of competition.
It will be interesting to see whether both pitchers are traded or if only one team will be able to land their target, and we will find out soon enough with time running out to complete a deal.
Be sure to stay tuned to FanSided.com throughout tomorrow’s MLB Trade Deadline and check out our MLB Trade Rumors page that is keeping track of the latest buzz from around the league.