Patrick Roy was a Hall of Fame goalie with the Montreal Canadiens and Colorado Avalanche for 19 seasons, but his son Frederick Roy is retiring at age 23.
Frederick Roy, the youngest son of Colorado Avalanche coach and Hockey Hall of Famer Patrick Roy, has decided to retire from the sport at the age of 23.
More from NHL
- NHL Rumors: Legendary Patrice Bergeron retires, which 3 players could be next to hang up their skates?
- NHL Rumors: Latest on Hart, Hellebuyck, Gibson trade possibilities
- NHL Rumors: 5 forwards most likely to sign early extensions this summer
- NHL Rumors: Where things stand with Erik Karlsson, Penguins and Hurricanes
- NHL Rumors: Penguins nearly traded for Erik Karlsson at deadline
The younger Roy played five seasons with the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League before playing two years with the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League.
Undrafted by the NHL, Roy was a controversial figure with the Remparts, who were owned by his father, who also coached the team from 2005-13.
According to the French language newspaper La Presse, which announced Frederick Roy’s retirement, there was a popular school of thought that the younger Roy was only playing for the Remparts because his father owned the team, rather than on merit.
Roy received a 15-game suspension early in the 2008-09 season for a high-sticking incident against Vincent Bourgeois of the Montreal Juniors, and for an incident during the Spengler Cup in Switzerland last December.
With the Remparts, Roy scored 62 goals in five seasons, including putting up 26 in 2010-11 and 27 in 2011-12.
With Rochester last season, Roy played in 53 games and had eight goals and 12 points along with 124 minutes in penalties.
Roy told La Presse he plans to return to university.
More from FanSided
- MLB Trade Grades: Dodgers land Amed Rosario from Guardians
- Colorado gives Pac-12 a possible death knell with move to Big 12
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook suitor maintaining very ‘real’ interest
- Braves get dose of bad news on Max Fried as ace nears return
- LA Galaxy vs. Club Leon Leagues Cup match rescheduled for July 26