Running back Ben Tate was supposed to be a marquee addition to the Cleveland Browns in March. It hasn’t worked out that way even remotely.
Expected to be the piece that would fix the Cleveland Browns running game, instead running back Ben Tate has had a disastrous 2014 season.
It got worse Tuesday. According to a report from ESPN.com’s Field Yates, Tate has been released by the Minnesota Vikings.
He spent just 10 games in Cleveland and was released on Nov. 18. He had a career-high 123 yards against the Tennessee Titans in Week 5, but was getting frustrated by the three-back rotation that included Tate, Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West.
More from Minnesota Vikings
- Kirk Cousins trying to emulate Patrick Mahomes after seeing co-star on Netflix doc
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook gives another status update on RB’s free agency
- Vikings: Jordan Addison issues apology after reckless driving charge
- 3 biggest mistakes from the NFL offseason
- Patrick Mahomes is picking a fight with the Kirk Cousins haters
In eight games for Cleveland, Tate rushed for 333 yards and four touchdowns, but just 3.1 yards per carry—more than 1½ yards less than his average in three seasons with the Houston Texans.
Tate was claimed on waivers by the Vikings, but had only 13 carries in three games, gaining 38 yards.
Tate signed with Cleveland in March, getting a reported two-year, $7 million deal.
That came on the heels of three productive seasons as Arian Foster’s backup in Houston, where he rushed for 1,992 yards and 10 touchdowns on 4.7 yards per carry from 2011-13.
In 2013, he had 771 yards and four scores.
But Tate got hurt late in the first half of the season opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers and was out for three weeks, including the bye week.
Tate came back and had the big game against the Titans, but had just 78 yards on 25 carries the following week and 36 yards on 16 attempts in a loss at Jacksonville in Week 7.
The three-back platoon came next and Tate’s unhappiness grew, ultimately leading to him being waived last month.
More from FanSided
- NFL rumors: Aaron Rodgers sets Jets up for Super Bowl run with new contract
- MLB Trade Grades: Dodgers land Amed Rosario from Guardians
- Colorado gives Pac-12 a possible death knell with move to Big 12
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook suitor maintaining very ‘real’ interest
- Braves get dose of bad news on Max Fried as ace nears return