The Oakland Raiders announced that they have signed former Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith
The Oakland Raiders continue to add to their defense as they build around young dominant linebacker Khalil Mack. After signing one of the better run defenders in Dan Williams from Arizona, the team has officially announced that they have signed another player from the NFC West.
More from Las Vegas Raiders
- Raiders: Saquon Barkley’s new contract may have screwed over Josh Jacobs
- Raiders sign coveted All-Pro ahead of training camp
- Raiders RB Josh Jacobs leaves Vegas in dramatic fashion amid contract dispute
- NFL Rumors: Insider predicts great news for Raiders on free agency front
- Austin Ekeler leading RB revolt with Zoom meeting of biggest names
The team announced that they have signed Seattle Seahawks free agent linebacker Malcolm Smith.
Smith is best remembered for catching the infamous tipped interception in the NFC Championship Game against the San Francisco 49ers and for winning the Super Bowl MVP against the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII.
Smith had 37 tackles for the Seahawks in 2014 as the team fell just short of winning consecutive Super Bowls after they lost a heartbreaking game to the New England Patriots.
The addition of Smith to the Raiders is no surprise as the Raiders hired Ken Norton Jr. to be the teams new defensive coordinator. Norton Jr. was the linebackers coach for the Seahawks since 2010 and knows Smith.
New head coach Jack Del Rio also got a first hand look at Smith winning the Super Bowl MVP as Del Rio was the defensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos.
The Raiders who have been basement dwellers in the NFL for some time now, are looking to take the next step after promising flashes from several young players including quarterback Derek Carr and the aforementioned Khalil Mack.
Mack was flat-out dominant in his rookie campaign, often requiring several double-teams. Adding a veteran like Smith to the roster will only help the development of the Raiders defense with his experience.
There hasn’t been much excitement over the last decade for the Raiders, but now it appears there is a buzz starting to build to in Oakland.
[H/T: Rand Getlin]
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle