Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard was given a red card in the second half in a match against Manchester United Sunday.
More from Premier League
- USMNT news: Balogun to stay, Musah to Milan, Ream wants promotion
- USMNT news: Dest to Fulham, Aaronson joins Union, Gold Cup roundup
- USMNT news: McKennie to Villa, Leeds departures, Sargent goal
- USMNT news: Pulisic to Milan, Musah to Fulham, Pepi to PSV
- USMNT rumors: Balogun to Chelsea, Robinson new contract, Pulisic to Milan
Liverpool was trailing Manchester United Sunday 1-0 at the start of the second half when Liverpool star Steven Gerrard subbed in for Adam Lallana and was then sent away with a red card after a stamp on Ander Herrera.
Here’s the video of his stomp on Herrera:
The red card was obviously justified because of Gerrard’s stomp on Herrera and Gerrard knew that.
Gerrard, 34, spoke with Sky Sports after the match and regretted his actions.
"“I just need to accept it,” Gerrard Sky Sports. “The decision was right. I’ve let my team-mates and manager down today and even more importantly I’ve let all the supporters down so I take full responsibility for my actions.“I tried to jump his tackle and I’ve seen his studs and I’ve reacted wrong.“I’ve been in the game long enough (to know what happens) when you do something like that and especially at the time of the game – after half-time with 45 to play – with a great opportunity to get back into the game, I take full responsibility for today’s result.”"
Kudos to Steven Gerrard for taking responsibility and showing remorse after he let his team down on Sunday in a big match.
Steven Gerrard has been with Liverpool his entire senior career since 1998, but this is his final season with the Reds. This summer, the former captain for England’s national team will come across the pond and join the MLS with the Los Angeles Galaxy.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle