The NHL Playoffs will have one more first round game, but the New York Islanders won’t be playing in it as they were eliminated by the Capitals in Game 7
It took a full seven game series to determine, but the Washington Capitals are on to the Conference Semifinals after bouncing the New York Islanders from the postseason.
Washington cut it close, as they only bested the Isles by one game and one goal, but it series win is still a series win and that’s the end result of their struggle against the Islanders. It’s a heartbreaking way to end a season for New York, but Washington out-hustled them in Game 7 and earned the win in every way.
Here’s a look at the updated NHL Playoff bracket now that the Washington Capitals have eliminated the New York Islanders in the Eastern Conference.
Click to Enlarge
It was a crushing loss for the Islanders, as fans across hockey were hoping for a showdown between the two New York hockey clubs. The Rangers are the top seed in the East, and they’re on a collision course with the Montreal Cancadiens for the second straight year.
But after dispatching the Isles in the first-round, the Washington Capitals are hungry to get Alex Ovechkin to the Stanley Cup and they’re one step closer to making that happen. They have to get past a rough New York Rangers team in the Conference Semifinals, but the Capitals are one step closer to the Stanley Cup, and it’s amazing what that taste of the Cup can do to a team’s motivation.
More from New York Islanders
- NHL Rumors: Legendary Patrice Bergeron retires, which 3 players could be next to hang up their skates?
- New York Islanders Rumors: Isles could lose prospect, Parise’s future in the air, need for youth
- NHL Draft winners and losers 2023: Blackhawks hit jackpot, Maple Leafs flop
- NHL Mock Draft: Connor Bedard No. 1, but who’s next?
- NHL rumors: Calgary in Flames, Kings, Flyers set for big deals, Hall to Chicago