Kelvin Benjamin was carted off the practice field on Wednesday.
Second-year Carolina Panthers wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin was carted off the field with what appears to be an injury to his left knee. The injury happened while Benjamin was facing Miami Dolphins cornerback Reshad Jones in a one-on-one drill. Benjamin ran out, cut left, juked back right and then went down after appearing to cut back to the left. He immediately grabbed his left leg.
Benjamin was immediately attended to by trainers and was eventually carted off the field following the scary-looking injury.
According to Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer, as of now, Benjamin’s injury is being called a sprained knee. He will have an MRI in Charlotte later today.
Benjamin is coming off a stellar rookie season, in which he started 15 games, hauled in 73 receptions (on 145 targets) and scored nine touchdowns. He is the team’s number one receiver by a wide margin, with the team’s other primary wideouts being Ted Ginn Jr. and Jerricho Cotchery. Should Benjamin be down for a significant amount of time, newly minted $100 million man Cam Newton will be forced to heavily rely on the aforementioned veterans and Devin Funchess, a second-round pick out of Michigan.
More from Carolina Panthers
- NFL Power Rankings: Who is the best quarterback in each division?
- Carolina Panthers RB has a truly wild Andy Dalton take
- NFL Power Rankings: Which teams will have the best rushing attacks this season?
- Bryce Young has one fiery obstacle in the way of his starting job
- NFL rumors: Panthers helping Bryce, Dalvin Cook update, Eagle shows Cowboys love