Big Ten football returns to action beginning on Friday, Oct. 23.
Big Ten football is almost back!
Yes, the Big Ten will be back in action with a full slate of games beginning on Friday, Oct. 23. It will be a nine-game, conference-only schedule this season, but we’re going to take college football anyway we can get it this year. Though we’ve known the Week 1 matchups for a few weeks, we now know what times those seven games will be played and what TV channel they’ll be on.
Here is the Week 1 slate of 2020 Big Ten football games.
Friday, Oct. 23 (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Illinois Fighting Illini at Wisconsin Badgers: Big Ten Network
Saturday, Oct. 24 (12:00 p.m. ET)
- Rutgers Scarlet Knights at Michigan State Spartans: Big Ten Network
- Nebraska Cornhuskers at Ohio State Buckeyes: FOX
Saturday, Oct. 24 (3:30 p.m. ET)
- Penn State Nittany Lions at Indiana Hoosiers: FS1
- Iowa Hawkeyes at Purdue Boilermakers: Big Ten Network
Saturday, Oct. 24 (7:30 p.m. ET)
- Michigan Wolverines at Minnesota Golden Gophers: ABC
- Maryland Terrapins at Northwestern Wildcats: Big Ten Network
The Big Ten football season kicks off with the Wisconsin Badgers hosting the Illinois Fighting Illini in primetime on Friday night. Big Noon Saturday will be in Columbus, as the Ohio State Buckeyes host the Nebraska Cornhuskers. In a potential College GameDay setup, the Minnesota Golden Gophers will host the Michigan Wolverines on ABC in primetime. It should be an exciting weekend.
In addition to the seven Week 1 games of the Big Ten season, four more Friday night games were announced, as well as Michigan at Ohio State at the tail-end of the regular season. Of course, we know Week 9’s games have yet to be decided, as those are based on competitive balance. Here are the times and television schedules for these five other Big Ten games we know for certain.
Friday, Oct. 30 (7:30 p.m. ET)
- Minnesota Golden Gophers at Maryland Terrapins: ESPN
Friday, Nov. 13 (7:00 p.m. ET)
- Iowa Hawkeyes at Minnesota Golden Gophers: FS1
Friday, Nov. 20 (TBD)
- Purdue Boilermakers at Minnesota Golden Gophers: Big Ten Network
Friday, Nov. 27 (TBD)
- Nebraska Cornhuskers at Iowa Hawkeyes: FOX or FS1
Saturday, Dec. 12 (12:00 p.m. ET)
- Michigan Wolverines at Ohio State Buckeyes: FOX
FOX getting Michigan at Ohio State as part of Big Noon Saturday was obvious. What is interesting is Minnesota is playing on Friday night three times. Maybe giving the Golden Gophers essentially a standalone window is something to help grow P.J. Fleck‘s team’s brand. The other interesting note here is outside of the Maryland Terrapins, Friday night is reserved for the Big Ten West.
Seeing these scheduled times and TV broadcasts have to get you excited for the Big Ten returning.