Check out the official results and highlights from WWE WrestleMania Backlash
In the main event, fan-favorite Cesaro put up a spirited effort in his Universal Championship match with Roman Reigns but came up short, being forced to pass out in the guillotine choke.
Following the match, Cesaro was brutally attacked by both Jey Uso and rival Seth Rollins. The attack included Rollins wrapping Cesaro’s arm, which he hurt during the match, in a steel chair and thrusting it into a turnbuckle post.
The night also saw Bobby Lashley retain the WWE Championship in a hellacious triple threat match with Drew McIntyre and Braun Strowman. Lashley came back after being thrown through the LED stage by McIntyre to score a spear and pinfall on Strowman.
Bianca Belair — in her first title defense since winning the SmackDown women’s title from Sasha Banks in the main event of night one of WrestleMania 37 — defeated Bayley to retain her title.
In a match that saw a lot of online backlash (no pun intended), Damian Priest defeated The Miz in a Lumberjack Match that saw “zombies” surround the ring as lumberjacks.
This was done in cross-promotion with the upcoming Army of the Dead film — directed by Zack Snyder and starring WWE Hall of Fame-elect Dave Bautista — that will be released on May 21.
Bautista, in fact, narrated the opening video package for WrestleMania Backlash.
Rey Mysterio and his son, Dominik, made history at WrestleMania Backlash, defeating the Dirty Dawgs — Dolph Ziggler and Robert Roode — to win the SmackDown Tag Team championships.
The Mysterios become the first father-and-son team to become tag team champions in WWE’s history.
Ziggler and Roode had attacked Dominik Mysterio on the Kickoff Show, forcing Rey Mysterio to go at it alone to start the match. While he managed to hold his own for a while, the numbers game appeared to be too much until Dominik Mysterio was able to make it to the ring and join his father.
Rhea Ripley opened the pay-per-view portion of the event by defeating Asuka and Charlotte Flair in a triple threat match to retain the Raw Women’s Championship.
WWE United States champion Sheamus competed in the Kickoff show, issuing an open challenge and defeating Ricochet.
The next WWE pay-per-view event will be WWE Hell in a Cell, scheduled for June 20.
Quick results for WWE WrestleMania Backlash
- Non-title match: WWE United States champion Sheamus def. Ricochet
- Rhea Ripley def. Asuka & Charlotte Flair in a triple threat match to retain the WWE Raw Women’s Championship
- Rey Mysterio & Dominik Mysterio def. The Dirty Dawgs (Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode) to become the new WWE SmackDown Tag Team champions
- Lumberjack Match: Damian Priest def. The Miz
- Bianca Belair def. Bayley to retain the WWE SmackDown Women’s Championship
- Bobby Lashley (w/ MVP) def. Drew McIntyre & Braun Strowman in a triple threat match to retain the WWE Championship
- Roman Reigns def. Cesaro via submission to retain the WWE Universal Championship