Errol Spence Jr. and Yordenis Ugás meet in a welterweight unification bout that might be the hottest ticket in early 2022. Here’s how to watch.
It’s Errol Spence Jr. vs. Yordenis Ugás fight week, and there’s a lot of hardware on the line.
Spence (27-0, 21 KOs) is the WBC and IBF welterweight champion, and Ugás (27-4, 12 KOs) is the WBA titleholder. The winner takes domineering control of the division.
Ugás became champion in August 2021, indirectly with the help of Spence.
Spence was supposed to fight Pacquiao in a unification clash, but a physical examination revealed Spence had a torn retina. Ugás replaced Spence on the card and boxed masterfully to wrestle the WBA belt from Pacquiao.
Pacquiao has since retired from boxing, and now Spence and Ugás meet in an April 16 Showtime pay-per-view matchup. Spence vs. Ugás might be the biggest contest in the first half of 2022.
Spence has reigned as a welterweight champion for five years. He holds two title belts and is undefeated at 32 years old.
Ugás had some difficulties earlier in his career, but he’s riding a four-fight winning streak. Beating Pacquiao was the pinnacle of his career, which he hopes to eclipse against Spence.
Spence and Ugás lead a stacked night of boxing. Here’s how to watch.
Errol Spence Jr. vs. Yordenis Ugás fight card (televised and PPV)
- Errol Spence Jr. vs. Yordenis Ugás, 12 rounds, WBA, WBC, and IBF welterweight titles (PPV main event)
- Isaac Cruz vs. Yuriorkis Gamboa, 10 rounds, lightweights
- Jose Valenzuela vs. Francisco Vargas, 10 rounds, lightweights
- Cody Crowley vs. Josesito Lopes, 10 rounds welterweights
- Radzhab Butaev vs. Eimantas Stanionis, 12 rounds, WBA “regular” welterweight title (Showtime non-PPV main event)
- Brandun Lee vs. Zachary Ochoa, 10 rounds, super lightweights (Showtime non-PPV card)
Where and when
The Spence vs. Ugás event takes place on Saturday, April 16, at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX. It’s the home of the Dallas Cowboys and is near Spence’s hometown of Desoto, TX, making this a hometown fight for Spence.
How to watch
Part of the Spence vs. Ugás undercard will appear for free on Showtime at 7 p.m. ET. The main draw is between WBA “regular” champion Radzhab Butaev and Eimantas Stanionis.
The Showtime pay-per-view portion begins at 9 p.m. ET at the cost of $74.99.