UFC 284: Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski live results [UPDATED]
In front of his home country, UFC featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski has the chance to further his success in the Octagon and make history, as he challenges Islam Makhachev for the UFC lightweight championship in the main event of UFC 284.
The matchup is significant in its own right because it’s No. 1 vs. No. 2 in the current UFC pound-for-pound rankings.
Volkanovski moved up to the No. 1 pound-for-pound spot after Kamaru Usman lost the UFC welterweight title to Leon Edwards, who currently sits at No. 3 pound-for-pound. Makhachev became the No. 2 pound-for-pound fighter following his lightweight title win over Charles Oliveira.
Volkanovski gets this championship superfight after four successful defenses of the UFC lightweight title, which he won by defeating Max Holloway at UFC 245 in December 2019. Volkanovski retained in a controversial split decision against Holloway at UFC 251, a unanimous decision over Brian Ortega at UFC 266, a fifth-round TKO of “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung at UFC 273 and a unanimous decision over Holloway at UFC 276.
This fight will mark Makhachev’s first title defense after capturing the lightweight crown at UFC 280 — and will mark his first fight without Khabib Nurmagomedov in his corner.
While Volkanovski goes for champ-champ status, an interim featherweight championship will be decided in the co-main event as Yair Rodriguez faces Josh Emmett.
Rodriguez, sitting at No. 2 in the UFC featherweight rankings, is 3-1 (1 NC) in his last five fights, with wins coming over Jung, Jeremy Stephens and, most recently, Ortega.
Emmett, ranked No. 5, has won five straight and seven of his last eight, with his most recent win coming in June with a Fight of the Night performance against Calvin Kattar, a fight Emmett won via split decision. Emmett’s streak also includes wins over Dan Ige, Shane Burgos, Mirsad Bektic and Michael Johnson.
[UPDATED] UFC 284 live results
UFC 284: Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovksi Main Card (ESPN+ PPV, 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT)
- Islam Makhachev defeated Alexander Volkanovski via unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 49-46) for the UFC lightweight championship
- Jair Rodriguez defeated Josh Emmett via submission (triangle choke), Round 2 – 4:19 to be the new interim UFC featherweight champion
- Jack Della Maddalena defeated Randy Brown via submission (rear-naked choke), Round 1 – 2:13
- Justin Tafa defeated Parker Porter via KO, Round 1 – 1:06
- Jimmy Crute vs. Alonzo Menifield declared a majority draw (29-27, 28-28, 28-28)
UFC 284: Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovksi Preliminary Card (ESPN/ESPN+, 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT)
- Modestas Bukauskas defeated Tyson Pedro via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Josh Culibao defeated Melsik Baghdasaryan via submission (rear-naked choke), Round 2 – 2:02
- Kleydson Rodrigues defeated Shannon Ross via TKO, Round 1 – 0:59
- Jamie Mullarkey defeated Francisco Prado via unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
UFC 284: Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovksi Early Prelim Card (ESPN+/UFC Fight Pass, 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT)
- Jack Jenkins defeated Don Shainis via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Loma Lookboonme defeated Elise Reed via submission (rear-naked choke), Round 2 – 0:44
- Blake Bilder defeated Shane Young via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Elves Brener defeated Zubaira Tukhugov via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)