Texas A&M offensive tackle and top NFL Draft prospect Cedric Ogbuehi tore his ACL in the Liberty Bowl victory but hopes to be ready for training camp.
More from College Football
- Jim Harbaugh facing 4-game suspension over NCAA violations
- College football neutral site games in 2023: Full list
- College GameDay announces surprise Week 1 destination
- College football analyst warns Oklahoma that Texas is doing better prep for SEC
- College Football Playoff national championship game locations for 2024, 2025 and beyond
Cedric Ogbuehi hoped to follow in the footsteps of former teammates Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews and be a high first round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, but that hope appears lost after he tore his ACL in the Aggies win in the Liberty Bowl.
Yahoo Sports’ Rand Getlin tweeted he will have surgery soon and is expected to be ready for training camp for the NFL team that drafts him in the spring.
Ogbuehi bypasses the draft last year when he was projected as a possible late first round pick but his stock took a hit after he was moved from left tackle to right tackle and was given a fourth round grade by an NFL scout.
His injury will prevent him from working out at the NFL Scouting Combine next month and Texas A&M’s pro day in the spring, so where will the former potential first round pick be drafted now?
Bleacher Reports’s Matt Miller still viewed Ogbuehi as a first round talent prior to the injury despite the move to the right side and a senior season that largely failed to live up to expectations and thinks he falls in the third or fourth round range now.
Ogbuehi ranks as the second best offensive tackle behind Iowa’s Brandon Scherff and the No. 14 overall prospect and CBS Sports had him as the fifth best tackle and the No. 25 overall prospect entering the season, so that is the type of potential the 6-6, 300-pound lineman possesses.
Whoever drafts Ogbuehi could have a mid-round steal if they are able to take a deliberate approach to his rehab and give him the time he needs to get back to top form.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle